Allan Streib wrote:
A lift normally has (I would think) a ratchet mechanism of some sort, or pins
that you lock in once the vehicle is raised.  They don't rely on hydraulic
pressure alone to support the car.

Right. The ratchets clank every two inches or so.
I like to lower the car down onto the ratchets, like lowering a jack until the car hits the jack stands.
You have to hold the ratchet release while you lower the car when you're done.

I always lift the hoist until the suspension starts to rise, then double check to make sure the lift pads are where they belong. I've had to reposition once or twice.

Most guys just hit the lift button until the car is at the height they want.
I once worked with a guy who had dropped a sheriff's cruiser on its side. (it fell before anybody got under it) Even after that, he could put a car in the air much faster than I did. But the time wasted getting that flipped Caprice from between the lift posts must have made up for a lifetime of saving a few seconds.

Mitch.