Alex Chamberlain wrote:
Every time I see a lift for sale for a price within the reach of
amateur wrenches I wonder the same thing:

The imports are pretty affordable.
http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/2-Post-Lifts-p/tp9a-d.htm
http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/2-Post-Lifts-p/tp09a-d.htm

My goal is to get a Rotary, Snap-On, Bend-Pak, etc in nice condition for $800-1000. An indy about 40 miles from me upgraded a 7k clear floor Rotary to a 12k and put the 7k on Craigslist for $1000 firm last fall. Too bad I didn't have a place with a 13' ceiling to set it up, as that was exactly what I wanted. I used to think a single post in ground lift would be great, but they're a huge pain to install, and you can't do driveshaft or exhaust work with the lift in the middle of the car.