On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM, David Bruckmann
<bruckma...@transcontinental.ca> wrote:
> To Curt's point: oddly, the 1984/85 190E 2.3 (201.024) and 190D 2.2
> (201.122), as well as a couple
> of Euro 123, 124 and 126 gasser models, start in second no matter the
> position of the shift lever.
> The only way to get into first is indeed to use the pedal to kick down.

I find this hard to believe.  Do you mean that you can't force the
transmission into first even by moving the lever to position 2 at a
stop?  Why would D-B go to the trouble of making a special
transmission without this feature?  It wouldn't affect fuel economy
ratings, since the transmission would behave the same if left in D.

> I assume this related to the shift gate being labelled D/3/2 instead of D/S/L.

FWIW, both of the 722.x cars I have, an '86 300E and '87 300D, have
the same shift gate, yet the 300D starts in first and the 300E in
second (but can be forced to start in first by putting the lever in
position 2 when stopped).  The shift gate is not a reliable indicator
of transmission behavior.

Alex