Just to add some confusion...my 80 300SD 116 starts in first gear without using
the kick down. I've had it for 14 years and that's how it has always worked. My
83 300D also works the same. The only time the kick down works is if I floor
the pedal...then it kicks down like I would expect it to. I'd hate to "lug" the
engine by missing 1st gear for take off. As to wear, the 80 300SD has over
410,000 miles on the original tranny. My Indie recently fixed a vacuum leak by
replacing the plastic cap on the modulator valve and it shifts better and
smoother than it has in years.
Again, just some more confusion for the discussion.
Best Wishes,
Roger Hale
Monroe, Ga.