"Someone told me it was because they were using crappier gas at
the stations."

I have been secretely suspecting this myself since Katrina...

Chris

Levi Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  I assume, you're actually calculating
your mileage based on filling up the
tank and doing the math of miles driven to gallons of gas used and averaging
your mileage over several tanks or more in a row?

If you're simply going by the low fuel light, my first thought would be if
your low fuel light is coming on at the same amount of gallons ever time.

Not to say that you don't have a "real" problem, but just checking to make
sure you know what sort of mileage you're really getting.

If it makes you feel any better I noticed the same thing with my 97' Subaru
Impreza. Someone told me it was because they were using crappier gas at the
stations. I'm trying some acetone and it's helping (though I'm also driving
a little easier, so I haven't yet done enough testing to say for sure which
is helping more). You may want to try it on your Benz. Though it is quite
possible the issue is elsewhere...

Levi (:

On 11/17/05, andrew strasfogel  wrote:

> My 300TD has been getting progressively, steadily worsening fuel economy
> over the last few years. It runs fine, there are no fuel leaks to speak
> of,
> and I haven't changed my driving habits. I had been driving it in "2" at
> Marshall's recommendation, but thought this might be causing the decline
> in
> fuel economy so switched back to "D" around town.
> Makes zero difference.
> When I say the fuel economy s*cks, this means that whereas I used to drive
> up to 380 miles before the reserve light came on, now it's exactly 100
> miles
> LOWER when I hit reserve (under 300 miles). This translates to 18 or 19
> mpg.
> I am beginning to feel ashamed that my DIESEL could fare so POORLY in fuel
> consumption. Best I ever got was 27 on the highway but until a couple
> years
> ago I faithfully averaged 22-24 during the non-winter seasons, mixed
> driving.
> I assume my problem is that the engine is running "rich". How would this
> be
> addressed?
> Thanks in advance,
> 1983 300 TD
> 267 K miles

It isn't what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are
doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about.
-Dale Carnegie

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 209K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"