I've got a set of the ratchet type but I only ever use them on the lowest
setting which is about as high as my floor jack will lift...

-Curt

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:59:54 -0400
From: "Gerry Archer" <arche...@embarqmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] A Father's Letter

I bought the same stands, either from Sears or Walmarts last year.  After
using them a couple
of times and an incident of one slipping, I decided that the stands were not
safe.  I then bought four "pin type" stands from Autozone which are safe
unless a metal part of the stand breaks since there is no way the stand can
slip with the pin through holes in the sliding car support and the base.
Christians father assumes he hit the jack lever accidentally.  After my
experience with the same or same type jack, I think the jackstand could have
simply slipped spontaneously.  IMO he should file suit against the retailer
and the manufacturer if for no other reason than to get these possibly
dangerous jackstands off the market.
Gerry