Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca> writes:

> Sort of a continuation of my earlier post, but it should not be too
> difficult to rig something to hold the ratchet part down so it would
> not readily change no matter how hard it got bumped or banged.

The problem I have with the notion of the ratchet style stand
disengaging is that it is in fact a ratchet mechanism: the pawl locks
into the notch on the stand and the more weight is bearing down the
tighter it locks.  The only way one could collapse is if the pawl or the
tooth on the stand itself sheared off (which I suppose is possible; so
it is also possible for a pin to shear in a pin-style stand).  Also
under load I don't think you could disengage the ratchet with a bump.
You'd need to apply enough force to lift the load by about one tooth
before the pawl would disengage, which would be a lot on a lever that
short.

Allan
--
1983 300D