drcscru...@aol.com wrote:
 It does get about 16 mpg maybe 20 on highway.  I have never gotten 24 miles
from one gallon.  However, I don't think I ever drive 55 on the highway for
very long.

Huge gains are available below 2000rpm. Set the tach at 1600-1700 for a few hundred miles in one day and you'll see something between 22 and 26 mpg. (assuming SRW and highway tread tires with lots of pressure)

Have seen 13-14mpg hauling 12,000 lb horse trailer at 55mph with a 2001 6sp.
(I believe the 4sp has a slightly taller top gear than the 6sp, but it's hard to keep the torque converter locked while hauling a big load)
Mitch.