Anyone with a OM601/602/603: You should check the throttle linkages in your engine. They were made with plastic ball sockets. Older (ironhead) engines used steel ball sockets that fail less frequently If you still have plastic sockets, you should order steel replacements from Rusty. Normally the linkage rods had one left hand thread socket and one right hand thread socket. On my 87 603, I found the rods had both ends threaded right hand.

I highly recommend changing plastic sockets for steel sockets. being stranded because a goofy plastic link fails is easily preventable. I found the first (outermost) linkage had been changed, but the two linages under the manifold had not.

Here is the procedure:

1.  Order new sockets from Rusty   000 993 04 61   (800 741 5252)
2.  Get or scrounge 4 nuts.  (Same size as glow plug)  for lock nuts
3.  Remove old linkage
4. measure C to C between the sockets, and you might want to also take a Length overall measurement as a secondary reference.
5.  unscrew the plastic sockets
6.  put on a nut on each end of the rod, screw it all the way down
7.  put on the new ball sockets.
8. adjust length to the correct C to C length (double check with LOA, but C to C length takes precedence) On one of my linkages, I had to Omit the nut and screw the socket all the way down to get the C to C length short enough. Be sure to align the sockets correctly They may be aligned or rotated 90 degrees, depending on the rod
9. tighten locknuts (8mm wrench)  Use vice or vicegrips to hold rod
10.  replace link on engine

If anyone needs left hand thread sockets, let me know. I have a couple I don't need.