On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone with a OM601/602/603:  You should check the throttle linkages in your
> engine.  They were made with plastic ball sockets.
> I highly recommend changing plastic sockets for steel sockets.  being
> stranded because a goofy plastic link fails is easily preventable.

Good explanation, Loren.  I have been complaining about those stupid
plastic sockets for 10 years, since I bought my first 603-engined car.
 My EPC install is being difficult right now or I would post a
picture, but there are other plastic parts in the system that can also
fail---it's worth examining the entire mess, from where the
accelerator cable leaves the firewall to where the linkages connect to
the IP, and replacing any plastic parts along the way on
principle----25 years of heat and oil splatter under the intake
manifold is not good for them.

I've had one of the plastic sockets fail on the road, but was able to
zip-tie the remains around its matching ball and limp home (the trick
is to avoid sudden changes in pedal position that might jerk things
loose).  One of the only two times that a Mercedes has left me
stranded, though, the culprit was one of the other plastic parts in
the linkage.

Alex