michael...@mac.com
(H) 231.894.5505
(Cell) 231.286.2344

On May 02, 2011, at 10:55 PM, Allan Streib <str...@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

Mike Esh <michael...@me.com> writes:

> Daughter rear ended a truck with the 84 300D. I anticipate the
> insurance will total it and come in with a low ball offer. It has
> 300,000 mile on it and is in very good condition, new paint,
> suspension, rear end, half shafts, various parts and pieces. What is
> the best way to establish value? Thanks in advance, Mike

My experience is that with auto insurance, for a total loss they will
pretty readily make an offer that's about at "book value" or maybe a bit
more. Which is fine if the car is new enough that there is a reasonable
book value to be found. For a 27 year old car, no such luck. They'll
probably value the car a bit over its scrap value, which is why I only
carry liability on my old cars; I'm willing to accept the risk of a
total loss on a car that I could replace for a couple of thousand, tops.

However, there are a few online "classic car" pricing guides. I tried
NADA's "Classic Car" guide and for my 1983 300D it came up with the
following pricing:

Low Retail: $4,750
Average Retail: $6,600
High Retail: $8,850

These numbers seem to me to be pure fantasy, but I'd run the quote for
your car and take it in .... what can you lose?

Also try to document any other recent sales or ads, e.g. eBay,
Craigslist, etc.

Good luck.

Allan
--