New computer is running XP with service pack 3, I suspect the old drive was SP2
or less (installed in 2005 and never upgraded since it's not on the internet).

I didn't have an appropriate disk Monday, won't be back at that job until
tomorrow, when I will take a DVD-RAM disk or a thumb drive in and see, but I've
never had any trouble at all moving Windows files around with a Mac.

The old drive is an IDE in a five or so year old DVD drive enclosure, should be
completely transparent (no drivers required).  I could be wrong, however.
Normally, a USB enclosure just appears as a standard read/write USB device.
Firewire is more complicated, as I have a Sony IDE to Firewire DVD external box
that will ONLY work with the original CDR drive.  Big bummer.

I shall hack about Thursday and see where I get.

I will be attempting to make block level clones of the drives on all our
instrument computers in the near future so that if one bites the dust I can
install a new drive (or box and drive) and just copy over the system disk
intact.  This avoids having to get a key disk for software, rebuilding all the
instrument methods, and so forth.

Peter