Dieselvolk,

My '95 E300 is worrying me.  I am on a trip in WDC, will be here for another
week or so.  Commuting about 45 miles per day, 540 mile trip to get home when
I'm done.

Occasionally, after the car has been driven for a few miles at highway speed
and
is fully warmed up, it will slip for about half a second and make a noise while
slipping, then jerk into movement when resuming travel from a full stop.  For
instance, drive on highway and then exit and come to a stop sign.  When I step
on the gas to go, it will slip for just a half a second and make noise which
seems to come from the rear end.  Car has about 287k miles now.

This used to be a once a month event, now it has become a once or twice a day
event.

I just changed the ATF and filter about 2k miles ago, using Mobil 1 now.  It
was
doing this before the change, old fluid level was fine and no alarming bits in
the pan, no burnt smell.  ATF level has not changed since I serviced it.

>From the very first instance, I immediately suspected the rear end, which has
ASD.  I have not done a thing other than verify that the rear end has gear lube
in it and that the ASD hydraulic fluid reservoir has fluid, although it is a
bit
low (power steering pump has slight leak).  The other alternative I can think
of
is that this is a transmission problem, like a B2 piston about to splinter.
Transmission has a flair during the 2-3 shift but otherwise shifts just fine.

Who knows if this is a failure mode for an ASD rear end?  I would love to hear
Dave M.'s opinion, anyone know how to contact him?

 Very respectfully,
/s/
Max Dillon
'87 300TD 334k miles (Off with the head!)
'95 E300 287k miles (daily driving duties)
'73 Balboa 20 (High & dry until the head is back on)
Charleston SC