Make sure tenant is properly advised and instructed on its operation and leave it in place. If it clogs again and becomes an on-going problem remove it.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Herrman" <jer...@san.rr.com>
To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 7:55 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Garbage Disposers Banned

So, we have a rental and as we are leaving our house yesterday evening to attend a meeting, the resident calls to say that the kitchen sink is clogged up. Being booked solid for the next 24 hours or so, I call a plumber to take care of the problem. He calls after doing the job to say that sweet potato peelings were run through the garbage disposer (GD) and bunched up in the "J bend" causing the blockage. He removed and replaced the trap, and took out the peelings. He proceeds to say that this house was built before the use of garbage disposers, and is not designed to have a GD. He recommends removing the disposer and restoring the original configuration under the sink. I am not inclined to follow his reommendation, believing it to be a desirable feature for residents. He says that NYC and other cities have banned garbage disposers.

My question:  Why have some cities banned GD's?

Jerry
1982 240D
Does not run on potato peels

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6133 (20110518) __________