I've been having a problem on my '81 SD of the engine dying when trying to
back out of the garage after a cold start. This is a So. Cal. Cold start
meaning probably never less than 50 deg. I'm sure that is already halfway
warmed up to some of you folks :^)  It starts normally after a single glow
sequence and idles well at about 800 turns per the tach. If you now put it
in reverse the idle drops a bit and as soon as you turn the wheels a bit the
extra load kills the engine. Turning off the HVAC also helps so it appears
that any load is enough to load the engine enough that it dies. After it is
fully warmed up there is no such issue. Suggestions to figure out what is
causing this are:

Check glow plugs...all at .6 ohms

Check valve lash...a couple of exh. a little tight but readjusted all anyway

Retarded timing..... haven't tried that yet

Rack damper screw too tight leaning out inj. pump at idle...

Well I was working on that right adjustment now and things don't seem to be
going exactly as I had expected. I had upgraded to the new gold damper screw
some years back and had adjusted per directions at that time. Now when I try
to perform the adjustment things are different. My expectation is that when
I back the screw out and take the spring force off of the rack, the engine
should begin to lope. As I remember the adjustment procedure is to then
screw it in till the loping just stops. Well in this case even though I back
the screw out 3 or 4 turns, it never lopes. The first time I tried to
perform the adjustment the engine was at operating temperature and it was a
bit uncomfortable to fiddle with the adjustment very much. This time the
engine is effectively cold. I went ahead and removed the screw to make sure
it was ok and it does appear to be fine. I can leave it backed out till I'm
sure that the screw is not touching the rack and it never lopes, in fact it
doesn't seem to affect the idles much at all. Does someone know if the
engine must be fully warm before the loping would occur? Suggestions? OBTW,
I did try and load the still cold engine with the screw not touching the
rack and it doesn't die now so that was likely the problem in the first
place. Now I have no idea how to adjust the rack damper screw. What is the
cause of the loping anyway. One fellow suggested it was the pulsing of the
primer pump piston that sets up the oscillations.

Barry