Hmm. Never had one apart, and don't plan to take one apart! Too many things to go wrong.

I suspect when cold the mechanical governor isn't moving the rack, and your lack of idle vibration is a clue here -- the rack isn't vibrating because it is gummed up. All these parts are in the engine oil lubricated part of the injection pump, which is why I suggest a change of mobil 1 -- it will dissolve any varnish or goo and free up the rack.

Unless you drive in the desert, 15W-40 is rather heavy -- when cold, it's obviously making the rack stick!

You must adjust the idle vibration damper HOT, preferably just after a hard, hot highway drive. This is because it is very easy to over- adjust it, causing the problem you now have and terrible cold start problems in cold climates.

Note that you are not attempting to make the idle smooth, you are attempting do dampen the hard front to rear vibration caused by the rack vibrating in concert with the longitudinal vibration of that 5 cylinder engine. This particular vibration is ONLY evident at low idle speed, it goes away instantly above about 600 rpm since the rack no longer resonates. Attempting to smooth a rough idle will result in limited rack movement, which sounds more like what you have going on.

I would leave the dampner bold adjusted out some -- eventually it will free up and you will get the hard front to rear shaking, at which point you can adjust properly, and should also not have excessively slow cold idle, nor stalling problems.

I would also check the mechanical idle speed stop -- easy enough to speed the engine up 100 rpm or so, won't be really noticeable other than that the car won't stall when you turn the steering wheel!

Peter