On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net>wrote:

> Funky engine control problems will drive you nuts as well -- intermittent
> no-start with no cause, flaky crank position sensors (can only be reached
> from below, blind, on top of the bell housing), etc.

I know BMWs, like all German cars, are notorious for hatching electrical
gremlins as they age, but I'm still surprised to hear that.  Generally the
BMW aluminum V-8s have had a great reputation (once they worked out the
issue with the self-destructing Nikasil blocks early on).  Nothing like the
timing chain problems in the 3.8 liter Mercedes, or the Audi V-8 that was
made of two VW GTI 16-valve fours joined at the crank and was more
troublesome than either would have been separately.

Alex