On 19/07/2011 4:36 PM, Donald Snook wrote:
Peter wrote: "I suspect you will like it a lot less when the $3000 "convenience relay"
box goes out and the windows won't work (hopefully, with all of them up), or the door locks fry -- $500
each and four hours labor, and then a big ol charge at the dealer to "reprogram" them.  Funky
engine control problems will drive you nuts as well -- intermittent no-start with no cause, flaky crank
position sensors (can only be reached from below, blind, on top of the bell housing), etc.  I hope it's
a long time before you have trouble!
These are as bad as the W140s, which is NOT a recommendation for ownership -- most
people dumped them at the end of the lease or the extended warrenty."

WOW! Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I just replaced my battery at my
indy's and we reprogrammed windows and locks in about 20 seconds - no charge.
I don't know why you have to do that, but evidently its done after replacing
the battery.  Based on my research on the BMW forums, I think you are mistaken
about the cost of these repairs.  The reliability went up fairly dramatically
after the 97 model year.

By the way, I talked to the service manager about this car.  He knew the car.
He knows the previous owner.  The guy took exceptional care of the car.
Evidently, he was a little neurotic and wanted the radiator cap replaced at
every oil change.  All work from new was done at the dealer.   Including the
Inspection II that was done less than 9,000 miles ago. This is a dealer service
that costs between $800-1200 plus anything things that it needs.  At this
inspection, the dealership checked a ton of stuff (too much too list) and did
the following:

Changed rear differential fluid, flushed braked fluid, flushed power steering
fluid, flushed coolant, replaced plugs, replaced all filters, and checked,
inspected and lubed a WHOLE bunch of other things.   So, Im pretty happy with
the car.  The previous owner was very anal and everything has been done.

Donald H. Snook
Don't worry. You will be fine so long as nothing breaks.
Even if it does, you cannot be into the car for all that much. Sell it for scrap, walk away and call it depreciation. Wouldn't be any worse than on a new car of some other sort.

AND we all know you won't keep it 6 months anyway so what are the odds of any big items going.

Randy