I don't think the inside is that hard. Soak it good with penetrating oil. before the engine sat around in the summer humidity, it probably would have turned right out.

Before you drill, try giving it a few good whacks with a punch (in the center) and the biggest hammer you have. That will help to loosen it up and also make a flat spot to start your drill. Use a flat punch or one that has the flat rounded over from use.

Drill slow (RPM) with lots of pressure on the left hand drill

Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> writes:

 Just bolt a new damper/pulley on the 116 engine and run it.  You may
 need to replace the locating pins if they are lost out of the
 crankshaft.  They are available as replacement parts.

 It is a LOT less work than an engine swap.

Yeah, looking at it again today and contemplating the heat and humidity
we have right now I think easier is better at this point.

My challenge is going to be getting the stub of the broken bolt out of
the crankshaft.  I guess I will try drilling it out with a left-hand
drill bit as I don't want to break off an extractor in there.  I thought
I'd drill a guide hole in the broken bolt, thread that in a few turns,
and use that to keep the bit centered as I drill my pilot hole into the
stub.  Is that bolt particularly hardened?

Allan
--
1983 300D