I was not gonna say anything about the 1991 300D that
I just bought off Ebay until I sorted the things out
and have a full evaluation about the car (whether I
paid was too much). But since Marshall asked about the
reason for the gasket I may just as well fess it up.

This is the "Ft. Myers Rust" we were talking about on
the list just a week ago.? Anyhow I got whole bunch of
superized pictures of the car from the seller and
called the seller about it. Put a bid in and was
second high bid. The winning bidder backed it out and
I took the second offer. Yesterday a buddy and I went
down to Ft. Myers and picked it up. Engine seemed to
be tight and has no blowby. Wrong coolant and noise
coming from the pump area periodically - 198,000 miles
so I am thinking the pump is going out. I do have the
old pump from my '87 190DT that is in excellent
condition (replaced at about 170,000 miles). My plan
is to swap the pump to see if it address the problem.

Although having a bit rust (originally from NH), the
car seems to have been taken care of. The interior is
very clean. All the electronics work - A/C
(retrofitted to R-134a, wish it's still R-12),
windows, sunroof, clock, temp display, OEM radio (has
an Alpine CD changer hooked up but I haven't figured
it out if it works or not). Even the cruise control
works! All manuals are in the glove box with some
other documentation - I basically figured it out the
history of the car from these.

On my way back (260 miles) the suspension seemed to be
tight and it handled very well. Fuel guage needle
bounced all over the place - probably the fuel screen
is all gunked up.

I am just hoping the IP timer curve is still in good
condition otherwise I would be out of $600 to replace
the pump and timer...

Tan
'87 190Dt
'91 300D (replacing the '82 240D)