That describes it perfectly.  What I can't figure out is that if I have a
bad diff why this develped AFTER the drive train transplant.  I had no
whining noise at all before this (the differential was NOT changed with the
engine/transmission).  Could a replacement of the drive train transmission
cause the diff to "stress out"?