OK Don wrote:
Does the phone service work over the satellite, or a wireless carrier? I'm
on the MI UP now, and my Sprint phone has zero service. The wife's T-Mobile
is doing fine.

Sprint/Nextel is worthless up there, or at least the Nextel IDEN network is.
A couple of my friends switched from Nextel IDEN contract phones to CDMA Tracfones serviced through Verizon after they bought a vacation home in da UP.

Another good option would be to get an old Verizon contract phone and activate it with PagePlus Cellular on a $80/one year/2000 minute card.