Well a good auto is a good thing, reminds me of a story I heard many years ago, a road train was stuck on a wheat farm in WA and they got a D9 in to pull it out, after breaking the first chain they got a bigger chain, D9 bogged down. Got in a Allis Chalmers N9 harvester with hydrostatic transmission, N9 ripped the road train out of bog.
Moral of story? HP applied gradually is better than HP applied suddenly.

Hendrik
who cannot testify to the authentic of that story

Dieselhead wrote:
I can't think of a single situation that an auto is preferable over a real transmission, especially offroad. (unless you broke your left leg or shot yourself in the left foot, which I don't intend to do.)