> Hendrik & Fay wrote:

> Well a good auto is a good thing, reminds me of a story I
> heard many years ago, a road train was stuck on a wheat farm
> in WA and they got a D9 in to pull it out, after breaking the
> first chain they got a bigger chain, D9 bogged down. Got in a
> Allis Chalmers N9 harvester with hydrostatic transmission, N9
> ripped the road train out of bog. Moral of story? HP applied
> gradually is better than HP applied suddenly.

I was talking to a Cat mechanic recently.  He told me they have
some prototype 'dozers that are diesel-electric.  He said the
users love them and they will "tear the cleats of the track"
with the high-torque/low-speed available with the electric
driving the treads.

I'm not sure this is the model the mechanic was referring to.
http://www.cat.com/D7E

--   Philip