Update - the van worked fine for SWMBO following the scare and running in
second only event. Son had LOTS of stuff that we HAD to take to MTU, so we
took the risk and loaded up the van to the extent that I couldn't see out
the rear window. Son's 190D was almost as full. We left Tuesday AM for
Houghton, MI, arrived Wednesday evening. Found an apartment Thursday, and
finished setting him up for the coming year Friday. Head back to OK Sat. AM,
got home 2 hours ago. 2363 miles.
The van performed flawlessly. The VERY slow driving through MI was
compensated with 25 mpg usage by the van, which is an all-time high for it.
Son's standard tranny 190D 2.2 averaged 42 mpg over the trip up. This car is
3 years older than he is - and also performed flawlessly.
Now, back to the daily grind for some rest!