WILTON wrote:
I bought a generator the day after Fran ('96?); used it coupla days, then tried to care for it for 10 years, or so, to try to keep it "ready;" 'finally got tired of the hassle and sold it to BIL for half price. 'Been lucky, I guess; 'haven't needed one since Fran. 'Just hope my luck continues to hold.

My area used to get a power failure of 3-15 days every couple of years in the 1970s and early 1980s. There hasn't been a 24 hour outage in at least ten years. The worst my parents got since they bought the standby genny four years ago was when their transformer took a lightning hit around 10-11pm. I think it was about 12 hours before the new transformer was installed.