> Curt Raymond wrote:

> In my case the clutch disengages in the first 1/8th of pedal
> travel, conversely it engages in the last 1/8th of pedal
> travel (on the way UP) so my theory is the rod is too long
> which fits with what you're saying except my results are
> opposite of what you thought.

Shoot.  I had your symptoms backwards.

Well - if it's enough too long the piston can't move far enough
up to clear the file-port and so it won't bleed.  If it bleeds,
then it may be the slave shims after all.

I just re-used what was in there, positioned so the gap was at
the bottom so it would drain.

Adding more shims would mean the slave is further from the fork
so more pedal travel will be needed.  Except it's a
self-adjusting layout, so it may adjust out what the shims
gain.  Though you said the shims did make a difference.

--   Philip