If you want to keep the car, consider purchasing a good used transmission
from a 1985 300D or SD.  Trust me, no matter what band aid you apply to the
83 transmission it will surely fail again.  The 85 is far superior with many
improvemnets over the earlier models, shifts better and usually lasts twice
as long.
Andrew
1983 300TD with '85 transmission
1985 300TD (long story)