Nick Gough wrote:
I've just been told by my mechanic that the reason for a loss of oil in the
300SDL is most likely due to the turbo seal going bad. They explained that the
seal between the 2 halves of the turbo could be leaking oil as there is some
oil around that area of the engine compartment. It seems to be much more
prevalent upon cold starts without the block heater plugged in. Could be that
if the engine is warm, the seals expand and no oil is lost via the tailpipe.
Power seems to also be off some, as well.
How much for a used (rebuilt turbo)? Or, would just a new seal do the trick? I think the rebuilt route is the path... if this is the problem. Could this also be due to something else in that area of the engine that could be causing the problem? Could a CCV system be the culprit? (I dunno if there is even one on the car... never looked... it just never occurred to me.) The car has 171k miles on it & now also has new rotors and pads on it. (I knew it needed pads, but the sensors never made a noise and the light never came on. I have had no time to do the work myself so I had the shop put on my pads and they discovered the need for new rotors. They've been on the car for almost 90k miles, so I guess they were due.) Sigh... I was wanting to get some other (cosmetic) things fixed on that beast. That will now have to wait... if I have to replace the turbo. Regards,

Somehow I feel like I'm coming in on the middle of this story. How much oil are you using. Under what conditions? While a turbo seal CAN fail, it's VERY rare. It's often suggested as the cause, but almost never is. Of the fewer than a dozen turbos I know of that were rebuilt/replaced to cure oil consumption, less than half of the replacements lowered oil consumption. MUCH more likely to be a blown head gasket into the front oil feed (between #1 cylinder and the chain vault).

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi