Ah, my friend just last week told me of a friend  of his who had some American
made 80's diesel and converted it to gas  and had trouble selling it. I recall
as a youngster (I'm 32), the only  American diesel car I have ever seen (to
date included) at a little  league game. I remember asking my dad about it
(made a different noise  than any other car) and he said, profoundly, "it's
diesel." I've heard  they were quite bad being essentially gas engines slightly
beefed up  for higher compression. Didn't know this was the handiwork of GM.

  When I was 12, (1985) all I wanted was a W126 diesel. Even wrote to MB  for
their catalog, which they sent. My friend and I drooled. Now I have  one :-)

  Thanks for the background.

  Chris

Mitch Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Christopher McCann wrote:

> Why GM?

GM gave us diesel passenger cars which prompted the owners to
pay big $$ to replace the diesel engines with gas engines.
(the same buyers who had paid serious $$ for the diesel
option when the car was new).
These people, and many of their friends/relatives, won't
be driving diesel cars anytime soon.
I remember cycling with a friend in the mid-80's, and seeing
a GM car that was turning over but not firing, and smelled
of unburnt diesel. My friend yelled "That's what you get
for buying a diesel!"  It was a common attitude then, and
I think the attitude remains among the US population.

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"

From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mon Nov 28 23:54:34 2005