GM and diesels has a more recent analogy:  Microsoft and web browsers

GM was very late to the diesel car scene. To compensate it threw its vast resources into throwing together a diesel car program. Microsoft was late to the internet. It threw its vast resources into creating a web browser program. Microsoft differed from GM in that it was able to install the program in every OS. GM did not install diesels in every car.

Anybody remember IE 1, 2, or 3? I think it was 2 that even installed a virus when you downloaded it and installed it. They are as forgettable as GM diesel cars. As kaleb says, by the time GM reached version 3 the 6.5 in 1992, they had a decent product.

Still IMHO, not as reliable or dependable as a 616/617 or even a 60x with Bosch inline injection pumps.

At 08:46 AM 11/29/2005, you wrote:

Loren Faeth wrote:

> Kaleb,
>
> A.  We were talking about cars, not trucks.
>        Show me an 86 chevy diesel car with the v8 diesel from the factory!

Of course there were no diesel V-8 cars from the factory.  You said GM,
assuming you were referring to all GM cars. That is what my comment was
based on.

> B.  The filter was on the back of the intake, and was plumbed
> backwards.  It DID cause nozzle failures.  It did often plug.  It was NOT
> easy to change.

True.  The later 6.5's are also on the back of the intake but not really
hard to change and not plumbed backwards that I can tell.  Probably a
different filter setup Im sure.

> C.  I did say the engine was reasonably reliable if you put a decent fuel
> filter/separator on it.

yes, you did.

> D.  I did not create the reputation of GM diesel cars.  GM did that all by
> itself.  I merely observed it.

Yes, GM had quite a reputation.  Had a couple of different family
members with those, one with a pontiac boneville, one with a pontiac
station wagon.  But as we discussed the biggest problem with the whole
deal was lack of dealer training and support.