On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 00:56:28 -0500 Fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Craig wrote:
>
> > What helped the most was pounding on the end of the nail with
> > the 2 pound hammer. With that, some of the nails went in just
> > fine, but some would not go in and bent over. I drove one
> > stack of eight #8 washers completely into the wood. I also got
> > carried away and put a bunch of nails in. The half-height wall
> > I thought was going to be wobbly isn't.
>
> Good!
>
> I have never like the nails much.  They are fast, though,
> compared to what I prefer.  Which is a threaded stud anchor.
> Like this one
> http://www.confast.com/products/thunderstud-anchor.aspx

When I put in our garage closet, I used anchors which went down into a
hole in the concrete.

> Using a real hammer drill (like Bosch BullDog) making a 1/4 inch
> (7mm) hole is easy, even in old hard concrete.

I used a hammer drill to try to drill the holes for the garage closet
anchors. Even with a 1/4" starter hole, the hammer drill made little
progress after an hour of trying. I had to go to the local rental yard to
rent a rotary hammer (the difference in the actual terminology is
significant). That was a much larger piece of equipment and did a
1/2" (or was it 5/8"?) hole in about 45 seconds. I had to be careful to
not go too deep.

Craig