Bob Rentfro wrote:
We were having discussions today at the old nuke plant about cold weather
starting (well...cold by our standards [39 degrees]). Some were saying as soon
as one sees oil pressure, you can take off like a scalded dog...both for
gassers and diesels. Others say let it warm until it's off the cold peg. Dr.
Booth has always said MB diesels were not intended to idle for more than a
couple of minutes. Since it very seldom gets cold here, I've forgotten. When I
lived in IL back in the day, I just plugged in my 220D each night when it was
cold and the temp gauge was always off the cold peg.
What's the deal?

Mercedes recommends that as soon as the oil pressure pegs, it's best for the engine to start driving (DON'T push it hard until temps come into the normal range). It will come up to temp most quickly (3-5 min) with a modest load on the engine and that will keep engine wear to a minimum. AT idle it may take 10-15 minutes for the engine to come to temp and that could double the engine wear or worse. Idling also cokes injectors, but this is a less important issue - especially if you do some highway driving shortly after.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi