Here's my $.02 if you want it. Let your car warm up for 5 minutes or so in the warm weather and 10 minutes in the really cold stuff. Just because the oil pressure guage shows pressure it doesn't always mean EVERYTHING in the engine is oiled yet. My best friends father used to do a demonstration with an old Chevy 250 inline 6. He would remove te rocker cover and tell someone to start the car and watch the manual oil pressure gauge he had under the hood. The gauge would go up after only a few seconds signifying oil pressure.....BUT....The rockers were still not getting oil.....Took some of them a good minute and a half to pump up the lifters and get the whole engine oiling properly. My other logic is that different metals expand and contract differently depending on temp as well. The engine was designed to run at it's "proper operating temperature" and therefore I would assume that putting the engine under load at the improper temperature would also mean that many of the bearings and such are not to thier proper clearances therefore causing undue wear.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Rentfro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 11:07 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Cold Weather Get In and Go

We were having discussions today at the old nuke plant about cold weather starting (well...cold by our standards [39 degrees]). Some were saying as soon as one sees oil pressure, you can take off like a scalded dog...both for gassers and diesels. Others say let it warm until it's off the cold peg. Dr. Booth has always said MB diesels were not intended to idle for more than a couple of minutes. Since it very seldom gets cold here, I've forgotten. When I lived in IL back in the day, I just plugged in my 220D each night when it was cold and the temp gauge was always off the cold peg.
What's the deal?

Bob Rentfro
'77 300D 144K
Litchfield Park, AZ