To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Cold Weather Get In and Go

Hi Bob,

Interestingly on my 240D anyway as soon as you turn the key to on the temp needle comes off the cold peg.... If its very cold, like below 0F I'll use the block heater. To do that I lug a 110ah battery down to the car. So after the car is started I'll let it idle while I hike the battery back upstairs and put it on the charger. Then I'll usually have another cup of coffee before heading to work. Marshall's contention about not letting the car idle is mostly because of carbon build up. Since I have a 80 mile roundtrip highway commute I'm not real worried about carbon buildup. One time 2 winters ago the glowplugs on Hammie failed so I left him running at work all day. (it was 10F, he'd never have started without glowplugs)

 -Curt
 '83 240D "Hammie" 248kmi