From: Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 29, 2011 8:52 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 1983 MB 300D No Glow Plug Light

$250 ages ago is $399 now for a new one.  I looked them up.    New or
used, a fluke 80-something is still a multi-hundred dollar meter (new
price.)

Many people can't justify that for occasional GP tests.  I went for
years with a multimeter ($20) that the lowest range was K-ohms.   It
was a very small meter and fit in the MB toolbox I carried in the
trunk.

I bought a radio junk one in 1989 that I really liked, and it is
still good.  It was  $39.99 and same with alligator clips that the
test leads slipped into so you could work one handed, or no handed.
That was really handy.  It had a low ohm scale that was sensitive
enough to determine a bad GP, although it was always higher than
actual.

As a general rule with a cheap meter, continuity indicates a good
plug and no continuity indicates bad.  This system does not work when
one is shorted.  That you can test with a handful of strip fuses.
remove one plug, replace fuse; test.  When the fuse does not burn
out, the one you have out, (or the last one you removed) is bad.