On a 5V power supply it was off about 8%. It was last calibrated in 1964 per the sticker on it. Do you think I should get it checked again?

You can calibrate it yourself, against probably pretty much
any DMM.  Mine has only two adjustments, the main one is the
gain of the amplifier.

I was at a recycle warehouse yesterday and for $5 bought a really old dial ammeter that goes up to like 1000A. It is pretty cool. I'll have to see if it works with something like glow plugs.

Does it look like it is capable of reading 1000A directly.  As in
HUGE terminals.  Most high-reading meters are intended to read the
voltage across an inline shunt, which very possibly did not come
with your meter.  The shunt might be 10:1, 100:1, or even 1000:1,
the meter itself might only read a few amps.

-- Jim