I can't say much about diesel but I do know that back a number of years, some gasoline brands seemed to work better in my car. I could run some but not others. If I bought Shell, for example, my car would ping. if I bought Esso, it ran fine. (I am in Canada so the brands might sound odd to you).
Might be a similar thing with diesel.

Randy