The ONLY difference between one brand of gas or diesel and another is the
additive package - which includes any ethanol and/or biodiesel. That is also
what colors the fuel. The feedstocks have been standardized. They dispense the
appropriate additive at the Terminal depending on which retail station is
buying the fuel (BP, Marathon, whatever). Each company maintains their own
supply of additive at each terminal under lock and key.

BP started producing ULSD fuel over a year before it was mandatory so they
could comply with the regs through dilution and avoid cleaning all the
underground tanks.

If you thin diesel with gasoline or kerosene you are screwing up the additive
mix and putting your injection pump at risk. A Bosch-style inline pump could
care less. The 25,000+psi system in a CDI will care greatly and you will pay
dearly.

-Dave Walton