I think all of my cars would be considered "lost causes" by
normal people.

The 300D needs a front-end rebuild.  The 300SD is tapping my finances in
a death by 1,000 cuts, and I haven't sorted out the ACC yet.

I have a VW Vanagon project languishing in the driveway.

But, they are as much a hobby as they are transportation.  So in that
sense they would become "lost causes" when the parts are either NLA or
too expensive to justify.

I have no illusions about ever making money on any of my cars.

Allan