On 14/11/2011 11:22 AM, Michael Canfield wrote:
There is another way to look at it.  Take a $1500 Benz, put a few hundred
into making it safe, dependable and nice to ride in and start counting how
much you save over making car payments and paying higher insurance for the
newer car.

If a penny saved is a penny earned then I am earning about $600 per month
by driving a Mercedes.

Mike

I do understand that part as well.
Our winters are such that I cannot or will not drive the toys in the worst of the weather. My 300D probably would not start anyway when it gets really cold.
That is why I drive the truck through the winter.
I have been toying with the idea of an older GM (shudder!). Probably either a Buick Le Sabre from around 2000 which would be relatively cheap and get fair fuel economy. A bit of a throw away car so run it and then run away from it. That is one of the reasons for my original post on the subject. I can be prone to keeping things too long and fixing them before dumping them which is a money losing proposition.

However, I just saw a listing for a 96 Caprice and have always liked the look of those too. It is not an Impala SS but still looks pretty smooth. Again, however, would not really want to make it a winter beater either.

Too many choices and not enough parking spots.

My other toys are less demanding. I have collected several older boats that await my time and efforts too but at least I don't need them at this time of the year.

Randy in the frozen north