MG <trainpain2...@yahoo.com> writes:

> That looks like a piece of an internal snap-ring.

Agree, that's what I thought.  I'm hoping there's enough of it left in
place to hold for a while.  Did the W116 have the transmissions that
were prone to the B2 piston failure?  (Though this does not look like
any part of that as far as I can remember, having replaced one a few
years back in my W123.)

> The car should not be able to move in park unless the parking pawl is
> broken or a tooth or two are broken off the shaft or drum that it
> locks. Now maybe occasionally the pawl will not engage a notch and the
> car may move a bit till the pawl catches in the next notch.

To clarify: the pawl is working, it's more like it's not totally going
into neutral.  There's still a bit of power getting to the output so if
I am stopped on level ground, put the gear selector in Park, and give it
some throttle it will roll forward until the pawl catches.

Will see what happens with fresh fluid and filter.

Allan
--
1983 300D
1979 300SD