On Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:27 AM, "MG" <trainpain2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The crawling forward if the pawl is not engaged could very well be
> caused by whatever the snap ring should hold. The part is now dragging
> and making the car move forward. It is also possible that the same is
> happening in gear and may cause lower fuel mileage. Won't know enough
> about all that till the tranny is taken apart.

Unless these are rebuildable without a lot of investment in special
tools, I don't think I'll be doing that myself.

> You should probably also have seen a lot of fine aluminum filings in
> the oil and larger in the bottom of the pan. The oil would kind of
> shimmer in the sunlight as you swirl it around in the pan.

Surprisingly, the pan was very clean other than that broken ring caught
in the filter.  The fluid did not really shimmer that I noticed, but was
rather dark; its age unknown.

Allan
--
1983 300D