The issue is power, with the scenario of the batteries being dead and only the little Diesel chugging along, however electric motors develop a lot of torque so it should make it but very slowly. Which reminds me of many years ago when I drove a 40tonne truck with 230HP up a very steep hill and by the time I made it over the top was in 1st gear.

Hendrik
who only drives little trucks these days

Jim Cathey wrote:
If you are going up a long grade such as Donner
Pass eastbound or the Grapevine (Tejon Pass) in California, could you make it to the top with a 20 hp diesel, a relatively small battery, and a full load?

Sure!  Can a fully loaded semi make it?  I'll take a couple of
slow vertical runs per year if I get 60 MPG (vs 20) generally.
If I commuted over such a pass, I probably wouldn't choose such
a vehicle.

-- Jim