Just so happens I have experience with the "hybrid bus program"... Yes, it
is being done.. but not on a large scale, and it is only being done because
of HUGE government cash being pumped into the program to support it.  If it
was a real market sale.. they  would NEVER be put in service.

As for the ships.. yes .. again... also the system used on Mining Haul
Trucks [the 200 tonne per load kind].. both for the same reason... cheaper
than trying to use gearboxes and transmissions.  Not because it is "green"
or more fuel efficient.

There is some promising work being done on IVT.. or Infinitely Variable
Transmissions.. the engine always runs in the sweet spot the "foot
throttle" coupled with a load computer on the contact wheels, actually runs
the transmission to select the speed you want from the available power...
shows promise...some concept test mules have shown 90+ mpg.... but not here
yet.

Storage battery hybrids are an engineering black hole.. batteries are heavy
and weigh the same charged or discharged.. .. as charge goes down, work
energy available becomes less, relative load increases.... [ less HP avail
/ relative to load] ,,  the harder you try to out engineer that vortex the
faster you spin into darkness.
Give me a blank check and 100 years and I will commit to putting "I'm still
working on it" on your headstone.

Grant...
AZ....