I'm in a state that gets snow and ice in the winter, consequently salt is used
on the roads.  I've never owned a car that didn't rust to some extent (and I'll
count the cars my parents owned since I'm familiar with them).  Japanese,
American, German... they all rust.

Best experience was a '91 VW Jetta, it was largely rust free after 10 years but
it was starting.  Worst was a '87 Toyota truck, the bed and fenders were like
swiss cheese when I sold it.

I think a lot of places use a lot more salt than they used to, also.

Allan