I was wrenching in tech school when these came out.  I can assure you that they
were built on the small block 350 platform, with a different crank and pistons,
I believe.

I can't comment on the top end, as I don't recall any details about it.  I will
say that the Roosamaster distributor pump has very tight clearances in the fuel
distributor portion, and lubrication from the fuel is critical to its proper
operation.  If you ran anything but diesel in one of these (Roosamaster)
whether they were on a GM diesel conversion or anything else, I can guarantee
it will fail within minutes.

There was a known issue with mains failing due to the bolts not being adequate
to handle the pressures on the crank.  GM later drilled out the bolt holes and
used longer bolts.  I suspect the problems manifested themselves in the top
ends as well, although I never saw this myself.

A little known fact:  There was also a 260 CID "converted" diesel that was only
sold in Oldsmobiles for a couple of years, sometime in the late 70s.  It, like
it's larger counterpart, was an equally disasterous engine.  The difference was
that the block was sleeved for some reason, effectively reducing the volume of
the compression chamber.  We had one of these in the shop, and were totally
perplexed by it.

Dan