The Olds 350 was a gasoline engine re-designed to be a diesel. This is common knowledge, I think. GM didn't make a V8 diesel at the time, at least Olds didn't, and it was NOT a new design, so there are not too many options for the source. If i was, in fact, a diesel from the ground up, it was by any measure one of the worst diesel designs every perpetrated on the public.

In stationary use with proper fuel filters it wasn't a bad engine, although it was fairly low compression and hence fuel hungry, but GM was sloppy with manufacture and used a dud of a distributor IP in it. Quite a slug to drive, and VERY smoky. Think dragging a mid sized 80's GM body with a NA '75 MB 300D engine with 2.78 gears.

Totally inadequate main bearings (quite common to spin the rear main at 25,000 miles or so, repeatedly), crappy head gasket, not enough head bolts (from the gasoline engine heritage) and no water filter resulted in most of them being in the junkyard pretty fast. If you got a good one, and you could keep enough battery power in it to actually start it (the glow plug system stunk, too), they weren't bad, and if it didn't blow head gaskets, crack, bugger the IP, or spin bearings driving on the highway, no worse than any other midsized GM car of the era. Having owned one of those, that's no saying much. I think I permanently damaged my knee from ramming it into the headlight switch, which for reasons I don't want to know stuck out from the dash beyond the door opening right a knee level.

I know several people who had them, and they were nearly impossible to keep running for any length of time.

Expensive to fix, too.

Peter