Hear, hear!  Don't know about the specifics, but waste management is the
flip side of the raw materials problem and (despite decades of recycling
talk) it seems like we are still in the "collect and bury" mode.

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of clay monroe
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 12:33 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] global warming

I like the depolimerization
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_depolymerization] process for
providing solutions to feedstock and recycling/reuse of our waste streams.

Right now we have to sort and wash and jump through hoops to get our waste
on the street corner for pick up.  Long lists of what can not be allowed in
the green stream.  If we could just dump it all into a single source that
would harvest the more profitable fluff (cans, paper, food waste, glass,
pretty plastic) and send the rest to a processing plant to break it down, we
would be ahead of the game.  No need for the consumer to think excessively
about wasting water to clean out each and every container.  Reduce time
spend on examining which of the many symbols your plastic is, and the dang
window glass could go into the stream as cullet, thereby reducing the energy
cost to make more glass.

Seattle sends mile long trains south to bury our "garbage".  Waste of space,
fuel and time that is better spent turning the waste into fuel, energy, and
carbon black or precious metals.  No more piles of tires waiting to combust
in the summer heat, while breeding voracious swarms of malarial mosquitos.
Reclaimed petrochemicals from the poly this and that resting in shopping
bags that will not be filling the guts of whales and fish, strangling gulls
and otters.  Waste fluids from paint and beauty products, as well as gallons
of caffeinated urine flowing into algae vats instead of streams and bays.

clay

1972 220D - Gump - She is green, simple and ran
1995 E300D - Cleo - Used by the Queen of Denial
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers

On Dec 6, 2011, at 7:10 PM, Dieselhead wrote:

>> Grant wrote:
>>> As it happens, I designed, built, and got certified, the largest
capacity
>>> Bio-Diesel commercial plant is USA [at the 2007 time frame] with a
design
>>> capacity of 20,000,000 gallon per month capacity.  So it can be said, "I
>> > speak the Bio-Diesel language".
>
> What was the feedstock?  Only thing I can think of in that capacity is
perhaps soy oil.  If all the yellow grease in the country was sent to this
plant, as near as I can determine it would only run this plant 2 months.