I don't remember THIS day 70 years ago, but I remember the following day very well. We didn't have a radio; 'went to school on 8th not knowing about Pearl Harbor. 'Was in 2nd grade; my friend, Swindell Collins, stood in class early that morning and told of a "current event;" Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor in the Hawaiian Islands; 'first time I heard about such a place. Two of my brothers had already been in the Navy about 2 years and were in the thick of it immediately; another brother drafted into Army in '44. We followed events very closely in my home for the next 4 years, and I became an expert in geography. We felt intense hatred for Hitler, Mussolini, and Jap premier, Tojo; I even had nightmares about 'em.

Wilton

I worked with a guy who was on Ford Island during the attack. Very interesting guy. In his 80s he outworked most 20 year olds. He didn't talk much about the war years, but every once in a while I'd get a tidbit out of him. Aside from being a whirlwind, he was a walking encyclopedia and always had innovative solutions to diverse problems. He was a super guy!